WHAT IS COLIC AND HOW DO YOU TREAT IT?
Colic is, when a healthy baby cries a lot for no particular reason. Doctors follow the rule of three, diagnosing colic: crying for more than 3 times a day, at least three days a week for more than 3 weeks. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to ease a baby’s crying. They may cry more often in the evening.
Colic can start a few weeks after birth. This is usually worth between 4 -6 weeks and they outgrow it by the time they are 3-4 months old.
You’ve probably wondered… How do you find out that your baby suffers from colic? Symptoms of colic may include:
- Intense crying like expression of pain
- Crying for no obvious reason (your baby is not hungry or don’t need to charge diaper)
- Maximum fussiness
- Crying at the same time each day
- Curling up their legs during crying or clenched their fists, arched back, tense abdomen
- Become red on face during crying
Your baby may swallow air while crying; this may be the reason of gas.
The cause of colic is unknown. Many factors can be the result of it. Researches have studied many possible causes. The main are:
- Digestive system is in the process of developing
- Overfeeding or underfeeding
- Sensitive to formula or breastmilk
- Childhood migraine
- Food allergy
Doctors can diagnose the colic doing a physical exam, focusing on: weight, body temperature, breathing, skin tone and energy level.
Colic will get better by its own. You may do such things to calm your baby down:
- Make sure that your baby isn’t hungry
- Check with your doctor if food which you eat may cause colic (if you breastfeed your baby)
- Give your baby a pacifier
- Always change the body position or massage your baby
- Swaddle your baby
- Use a swing or vibration seat, go for a walk or ride in car
- Give extra skin-to-skin contact
- Check with your doctor if you should change feeding formula
- Provide white noise (like a fan, hairdryer, washing machine)
- Use anti-colic drops
Colic is stressful for parents. Nevertheless, remember that you have not caused colic and all will get better. Never shake or harm your child.
If you feed your baby with a formula, we can recommend you to try Hipp Combiotik, Hipp Comfort, Holle Goat or Loulouka.